A Year End Letter From Our CEO, Billy Ocasio
In a time when Puerto Rico faces dire infrastructure, demographic, and economic turmoil, we are doing our part to conserve and uphold our heritage, art, and creative capacity. Through our year-round exhibitions and programming, the National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts & Culture strives to present the diverse methods, techniques, and stories that make up our rich arts traditions, both past and present.
2018 has been a phenomenal year of success for NMPRAC:
- We are well on our way towards achieving national accreditation through the American Alliance of Museums’ Museum Assessment Program.
- We created Proyecto Artesano, an initiative to support the creative economy of Puerto Rico by purchasing crafts made by artisans living on the island to be sold in our museum gift shop. Profits are redirected to continue the program.
- We received a grant to launch a cultural exchange project—our first traveling exhibit made up of Puerto Rican artists in Chicago, which will open up at Puerto Rico's famous Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico in 2019.
- At the 5th Annual Raices Gala, we gathered on the one year anniversary of Hurricane Maria and honored three Puerto Rican talents with the 2018 Ceiba Award: legendary singer and songwriter Andy Montañez, CBS News correspondent David Begnaud; and actor Jon Seda.
- We proudly launched the Raices Scholarship Fund, which will award scholarships to high school students of Puerto Rican descent interested in furthering their studies in the arts.
- We are gearing up to be part of the celebration of Lin-Manuel Miranda's reprise performance in Hamilton in Puerto Rico this January 2019.
Today, we are asking for your support! As the only museum in the nation dedicated solely to Puerto Rican arts and culture, we need to remain strong in operation so that we can continue to enhance the visibility of Puerto Rican arts and culture to the world.
Your end of year gift will empower us to do just that. Please consider a tax-deductible donation of $100, $500, or more to help us sustain the legacy and promise of Puerto Rican arts. Thank you, as always, for your support, and please visit us soon.
With sincere gratitude,
Chief Executive Officer
If you prefer, you may submit your donation via check to:
3015 W. Division St.
Chicago, IL 60622